If you’re looking for a quick, easy-to-make and at the same time mouth-watering recipe to make at home, you’ve hit the right page! Being a huge foodie myself, I know what a struggle it is to not have access to your Zomato or Swiggy, and not being able to binge eat your favorite cheesy junk (or a Roasted Vegetable Lasagna Recipe), thanks to this lockdown.
Well, I’m here to your rescue! For all the people who love to cook and for even those who don’t, here’s an easy, flavorsome recipe of one of my forever favorite dishes on the menu i.e. Roasted vegetable lasagna!
Course: Main Course
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Servings: 6 servings
Calories: 528 kcal
Why would you like it?
Roasted Vegetable Lasagna Recipe is not only a comforting baked pasta dish recipe, but it is also customisable in a lot of ways. The pretty little secret behind this recipe is that you can add as many veggies in it as per your choice, requirements and availability.
Although it takes a while to make, it’s really easy to put together and you can make the sauce while the veggies roast.
So let’s begin!
Now, this dish basically involves two major processes:
- Making the two vital sauces i.e. the white creamy sauce and the marinara sauce.
Note: You can use ready-made marinara sauce too, but I prefer making it myself.
- Preparing and roasting all the veggies that you want in the filling of your lasagna.
Note: For non-vegetarian lovers, no don’t curse me! You can add meat (chopped, marinated or however you like it)
The fun part is you can make large portion and store it for days in the fridge/freezer.
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 4 tbsp all-purpose Flour (Maida)
- 2 cups Milk
- 200 g Cheddar Cheese grated
- Salt and Pepper and Italian seasonings like oregano, chilli flakes, dry parsley etc.
- Bell peppers (red, yellow, green)- 2 cups (chopped)
- Mushrooms (chopped)- 1 cup
- Olives (chopped or however you like them)
- Onions- 1 cup (long and thin cut)
- Broccoli (majorly cut)
- Cottage cheese/paneer/tofu (cut in small cubes)- 300gms
- Tomatoes- 8-10 (boiled and mashed): required for marinara sauce, if using ready-made marinara, then no need.
- Chopped basil leaves (1 cup)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 9-12 Lasagna Sheets
- Mozzarella cheese.
HOW TO TREAT PASTA SHEETS:
Boil water and add pasta/lasagna sheets. Boil until the sheets become chewy and soft.
FOR WHITE SAUCE:
- Heat butter in a pan.
- Add the all-purpose flour (maida) and stir with a spoon until light golden brown, for about a minute or two.
- Slowly, while stirring constantly, add milk. Make sure to keep stirring and for better consistency, whisk along properly to avoid any lumps.
- Add plenty of salt, pepper and further seasonings like oregano, chilli flakes etc and keep stirring for a minute.
- Now, add cheddar/ mozzarella cheese to make it creamier. Remember to keep stirring continuously until the cheese melts and then turn off the heat.
FOR MARINARA SAUCE:
- Firstly, boil the tomatoes (8-10 or depending on your requirement) till their skin starts tearing apart. Bring off the heat.
- Peel the tomatoes, and mash using potato masher.
- Heat oil/ghee/butter in a pan and add garlic and saute until the raw smell disappears.
- Add and further saute onions until golden brown or till the raw smell disappears.
- Gradually, add the tomatoes and mix. Cook and mash simultaneously.
- Add salt to taste.
- Now, last but not the least, add chopped basil leaves to garnish.
PREPARING THE VEGGIES
- Heat olive oil in a pan.
- Add onions first, saute them for 2-5 minutes, until the raw smell disappears and they turn to pinkish brown color.
- Now, add all the remaining veggies: bell peppers, mushrooms, broccoli etc. Saute until soft.
- At last, add olives and cottage cheese cubes. Make sure you don’t cook the cottage cheese for more than a minute.
- Optional: you can add some herbs and seasonings in the veggies too.
THE FINAL TASK: LAYERING AND ASSEMBLING!
Layering is the most easy and yet the most satisfying task in this entire process! Don’t forget to pre-heat the oven to 200°C/300°C while you set the layers.
- Spread a spoonful layer of marinara at the base of the baking dish. Top it with a lasagna sheet.
- Now add a layer of veggies, properly spread, and over it add a layer of creamy white sauce.
- Now add another pasta sheet and over it add a layer of marinara sauce and veggies.
- Repeat another layer of lasagna followed by creamy white sauce and vegetables.
- Repeat one more time then add a final layer of lasagna sheets and pour over the rest of the sauce.
- Top with the mozzarella and bake for 30-40 minutes until browned and bubbling. And your toothsome roasted vegetable lasagna is ready!
I usually advice to cover the baking dish with aluminium foil, while baking for the first 15-20 minutes so that the core of the dish is properly baked. Then remove the foil for the last ten minutes and bake further. This will finally let the top layer of cheese to melt and the whole thing would be evenly cooked!!
If you want to make this lasagna ahead of time then you can assemble the whole thing and keep in the fridge for up to a day then bake just before serving.
This recipe also freezes well so once baked and cooled either cover the entire thing or cut into portions and freeze individually for easy grab and go dinners.
I hope you have fun cooking this easy roasted vegetable lasagna recipe as much as i did, let me know in comments if you try and like it!
Author: Vibhuti Verma